Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Art of Losing Weight- Lesson 1

I understand heavy people very well and the pain that they endure on a daily basis. I have been heavy since I was 18. I am now 64. It has caused me lots of problems. Health and social problems.  I am not a believer in the theory of  "accept me as I am" because you can say that about anything. Accept me as I am because I'm a slob and I don't care about myself enough to improve myself.

So I decided after many painful experiences that I would lose weight. Lesson one, I decided to take action. I believe in belief but I also believe in action. You do not get anywhere without both of these components.  I started to study. For the next twenty years I was on every diet that had ever been created. I would sometimes lose weight and sometimes not. Sometimes I would become very ill and have to be hospitalized. Two diets did this. The first one was an all fruit diet. You ate fruit for days on end. I lasted 3 days...I passed out at work. The next one was the infamous Adkins diet. I lost weight successfully and very easily.  I had to be hospitalized after a few months. I had developed hypoglycemia and the doctor was convinced that it was the diet that did it to me. I still have low blood sugar technically and it is pretty well under control now I have no symptoms.

The diets went on and on. And in this society you can try another diet plan each week. So, I'm going to make it easy for you because I finally found something that works and works consistently.

 One day I saw a man on a TV show that I usually watch. He was hawking a new diet book. It was a no sugar diet but the way it was presented that day I thought it was a low carbohydrate diet.

"This is nothing but an Adkins diet," I said. Then I switched the channel.

Months later the man was back on the program. He explained his diet a little more thoroughly this time. It peaked my curiosity and so I bought his book and began my journey of successful weight loss...The book is From Fat to Skinny by Doug Varrieur and I lost over 60 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment